There are ten clinics across Lothian offering sexual health services to you within your local community.
These clinics run mostly on a weekly basis. Please see the individual pages for the clinics for more information.
Some are run by nurses, others have doctors as well. These clinics offer advice and supply you with a wide range of contraception and offer tests for STIs and HIV. They can:
- fit and remove contraceptive implants and fit and remove an IUD
- do pregnancy tests and give you advice and support
- refer you for termination of pregnancy
- give advice and treatment for thrush and other common vaginal discharge*
- give advice and referral for complex problems e.g abnormal bleeding
- do smear tests.
* if you require medical advice e.g for complex problems with contraception or IUD fitting you will need an appointment with a doctor or sometimes a nurse.
The receptionist or nurse will make sure this is arranged for you. Sometimes the doctor can only do an initial assessment and examination, but may have to refer you to a more specialist clinic if further investigation and treatment are necessary.Did you know that your local GP can also offer a lot of these services? It is always worth checking with them.
Please see your local clinic on this list for further details.